Sunday, January 22, 2012
And then it was blacker, and bluer
My first project of the year was to use up some of the wasted space on the bottom of my Doepfer A-135 mixer module. I didn't go as far as Tim Stinchcombe did on his module. I just tacked a 1/4" jack onto the output and added a multiple to the bottom corner. Having another 1/4" out is very handy. I also removed the grey knobs and replaced them with 1900 Clones from Small Bear. I did this with the rest of my non-DIY stuff as well. Yay uniformity (sort of)!
Next up was this module. It has a 5Pulser from Ian Fritz, a Yusynth Saw Animator and multiples and attenuators in the middle. The 5Pulser and Saw Animator take a sawtooth wave input and turn it into a whole lot more. My one VCO now sounds WAY fatter! Check Youtube for demos, as I have yet to invest in good recording equipment.
Here is the A-111 VCO with its new knobs.
Here is my whole system after the re-knobbing and new module. I'm started to get excited as it comes together. I have a few modules to go before it really makes sense as a complete system that will be a big part of my sound, and more importantly, give me a voice to express myself musically again. I was really just starting to gel with the last modular that I had before going to school, but that's life. This one is already better in a lot of ways and will only improve as I put more modules together.
And here are the outliers waiting for me to finish another case. The next case is going to be the other Rast that my wife and I painted at the same time as the case in these pictures, but I am going to try a couple of new things. Hopefully it will end up with fewer holes drilled in it than this one!
Up next, patched up spaghetti pictures, with cats. People love cats. Maybe I will also remember to not leave the flippen camera in macro mode the whole damn time.